Last night I went in search of an ashtray. I was looking for a small one to set on the foot of the bed, where I was sitting cross-legged half reading, half watching Corner Gas. I went into the dark kitchen, pulled out the storage (junk) drawer, and proceeded to dig to the bottom. I heard metal on metal, located the source, and drew this outta the drawer. So that's where this has been hiding! I knew it was here somewhere. This is yet another in my long line of favorite metal things. Don't know where I acquired this affinity for anything old and made of metal. Things made outta brass are probably my favorite category. There are no makers marks on this piece to help identify it or date it. Doesn't matter to me, I love it just the way it is. At first glance, it appears to be a well-done depiction of a soldier and a peasant lass out for a stroll. My guess would be German origin, because of the soldier's attire and mustache. The young lady's hair is gathered up on top of her head, her bodice has short, puffed sleeves, and she has her market basket on her arm. She has her hand up to her lips and is tilting her head in what appears to be maidenly modesty or shyness. A sentimental moment captured for all time. Ah, for the days of such innocence...
And now, for the rest of the story...
PRICELESS!
2 comments:
America thanks you for the rest of the story, Paul. I mean Brisen.
I would enjoy spending a few days looking through your treasures. And that is for serious true.
You would be most welcome. We could pilfer about for days. I'm always findin stuff that I haven't seen for awhile, lol.
Post a Comment